Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Race from Hades.....

Okay, so as many of you know, Jason and I ran in a 1/2 marathon over a week ago in Vegas. My brother and sister, Blaine and Beth, along with Beth's husband, Jason, ran in it with us. I've been waiting to get the pictures sent from my mom so I could post about it. The weekend with the fam was a lot of fun. The race........was horrible! This is Beth and I after the race. The website where we registered for the race mentioned that the course had a "slight incline" for the first few miles. Ha! The first 8 miles were uphill! Not exaggerating! We were not physically prepared for that! There would be a major hill followed by a very, very short downhill and right away we were climbing again. Not to mention the wind that was blowing like crazy the whole time. I'm not just being a baby. I've done 2 full marathons and this half marathon was soooo much worse than those. Needless to say, Jason and I were not happy with our times. Our times were about 15 minutes slower than we hoped.

The event was not put together very well. We went to check in the night before and waited in line almost an hour to pick up our numbers and packets. Usually at the finish line of a race they have booths and tents set up with lots of food and plenty of water and drinks. They ran out of food and there were no tents. So, if you're a race runner looking for a good event........cross Red Rock 1/2 Marathon off your list.
Here's picture of us before the race. Look at us fools smiling away. If we had only known the hell that was waiting just around the corner. Like idiots, we showed up at the pick up point way too early. We had to hang out at the start line for an hour in the cold wind. We stayed the weekend at Blaine's sister in law's house. That part of the trip was a lot of fun. The kids had a blast! Hopefully I'll have pictures of them soon. The Taylor's were great guests and we fell in love with their beautiful home. We had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory that night (one of my favorites). It was hard saying goodbye to everyone after just 2 quick days. Lucy had so much fun playing with Abby, Oliver, and the Taylor boys.

14 comments:

Camille Foote said...

I had to cringe while reading your blog. This is one of my worst fears to show up for a race and find out it is all uphill, or most of the way. I have friends who have said I should do the Pikes Peak incline marathon. No Thanks! If my car can barely drive up the hill there is no way I am running up it.

Sorry it is never fun to have a bad race, but hopefully all your other races will be down hill from here(get it down hill...never mind I'm lame)

Niki said...

Whether your time was 15 slower or not, you still ROCK for even doing it!!! Uphill races are not the funnest! Last year for the Wasatch Back I ran uphill for one of my entire legs. NOT FUN, and yet I am doing it again this summer. Like you said...FOOLS!

Wright's said...

So Maggie how did you really feel about the race? I love your honesty. The sad thing is I would describe my lame 15 minute runs with the same passion. I hate running. I think you and your whole family are amazing. You are my hero.

Candy said...

Hi Maggie, I don't know if you know who I am. I am Candy Argyle(well that is my maiden name), and I grew up in Mtn. View. I think you were a year older than me in school. I know Collette and Emily. THat's how I came across your blog. i've been reading it here and there and waiting to read about your 1/2 marathon. (That sounds creepy, don't worry, I'm not a stalker). I have ran 2 full marathons, and am training for a 1/2 marathon right now, that is in 4 weeks. I'm SO sorry it was so rough for you. The description of this 1/2 mar. says there is a slight incline...HA! I know exactly the hill they're talking about and it's a beast! And we have to run it twice. Anyway, I just wanted to say good job for finishing and I pray that my experience is a little better than yours!

Emily K. said...

Hey-don't believe Candy, she is way creepy!! Just kidding, she's great. I've been waiting to hear how your race went. Sorry it was so hard. I abhor, loathe, despise, hate hate hate, hills. They are all over here, and you think I would get used to them, but I never do. Good for you for even doing it. I have probably run a total of 10 miles since my 1/2. I'm a big wimp.

Ndrhsrfamily said...

I'm just impressed you finished the dang thing! With all the terrible conditions you mentioned I would have thrown myself in front of a car or something. Okay that's a little dramatic but kudos!!! What's next on your training schedule?

Allison said...

Maggie you are freaking hysterical! Even though I know it was awful, I have to smile because you describe it so well. All I can say is that you and your fam rock for doing the 1/2 marathon...who cares about time, at least you did it and completed it. I also enjoyed your Anniversary post, time flies when you get to spend it with your best friend!

Nate and Janie said...

Yay for Maggie and family! Maggie by the way you described it I would have stopped as soon as I was out of sight of the starting line and hopped a ride in a car with someone. Nate read that Jason ran it with you and he willingly stated that he would.....run to the end of the block with me! Ha! I probably couldn't even make it to the end of the block, we'd both topple over and lay on the asphalt for awhile! Anyway, good job to all involved!!

The Cooper's said...

I think it's just awesome that you did the race and finished! That, in and of itself, is an accomplishment! I'm sorry that it sucked though. You are awesome!

paulandbrianna said...

That particulare picture is the reason I hate running. I still try, but fail miserably. Looks like you guys had fun though and way to conquer that battle. I guess you should talk to Jason about building a bunch of hills on base so you can get hill training in!!

L said...

I am still laughing. You know I love you and you are my hero!

The Birds said...

I am so sorry the race sucked! I wouldn't worry about your times since it was uphill! I say Yeah for finishing! GOOD JOB!

cragun family said...

Mag,
Way to go! I think you are a super star for even doing it. I am so not a runner. I have run in one race in my life; the 4th of July 5K, and I thought I would die. It is something however I would like to get 'into', so we'll see. Anyway, you are awesome for sticking it out!!!!

Shanna said...

Way to go Maggs! you guys always look like you're having the best time ever...even if your in hell.