Friday, March 21, 2008

Easter Celebration Ideas

Easter is fast approaching and I am curious to know how you all celebrate. As we are away from extended family, I'm hoping to start some traditions of our own. (Although, I'd rather be in Utah doing our this with the fam. I'm having a rough couple days.....very homesick!)

Anyways, we thought about having the Easter bunny come on Saturday so that we could have more of a spiritual day on Sunday. But then I worried that Saturday would always become the big day and Lucy (and the other kids) wouldn't get excited about Sunday.

So........what do you do for Easter? Do you have an Easter bunny come to your house? We decided that this year we'll do it on Sunday morning, but some of the eggs that the Easter bunny hides for the little hunt will have words in them (like resurrection, tomb, crucified, 3 days, etc, etc.) so that we can talk about the words as she opens them. In the future the eggs might have scriptures instead of words. We're going to keep the bunny part of it all pretty simple, but there will be candy. Oh yes.....there will be candy!

I may attempt to make some of my mom's amazing cinnamon rolls tomorrow. Maybe each year we'll have cinnamon rolls for Sunday morning breakfast. My mom makes hot cross buns every Easter and I looked forward to it each year. We'll see if it really happens.

4 comments:

Shanna said...

Maggie,

I am glad to find you. My husband was excited when we found "Elder" Ray's family.

I had to comment about the easter thing. Josh and I have 12 eggs that each have something that represents Jesus, they do have a scripture attached but our kid are too young to read so we just talk about the different things in each egg. I remember doing this as I was growing up and love doing it every year. We thought about hiding them but wonder if that would give too much away so we do it as part of FHE on Easter Sunday. Just a thought, I can e-mail you the scriptures and what they come with if you want.

Shanna (Priest) Wiscombe
pokienose@gmail.com

Kelsey said...

We do the Easter bunny on Saturday and I LOVE it! Gets all the commercial stuff out of the way. Living far from family, we also usually have a big egg hunt on Sat. afternoon with the families in our ward. On Sunday, we go to my good friends house for a passover dinner. We eat stew and flatbread and dried fruit and nuts and talk about the Savior and what it must have been like to live back then. I love it. It really gives us a chance to focus on Jesus during Easter. Good Luck and let me know how things go!

The Cooper's said...

I would be homesick too! I'm sorry you can't be with your family but what a great way to start traditions for your own family! York always wants to do "our own thing"...I think I'm more like you and would rather be with our fam's. Anyway, Saturday is the day for the hunts and not so serious stuff and then Sunday we spend time as a family, reading and talking about the true meaning of Easter. It's pretty much for York and I though cause Camryn is still pretty young and only lasts a couple of minutes. Anyway, I hope you have a great Easter!

Kelli said...

I love your ideas. We have also been trying to do a "bunny day" on the Saturday prior. The egg hunt was the main concern. I still debate about waking up to a basket on Sunday or getting it out of the way on Saturday. This year we're doing it Saturday.

At Christmas we do a really nice dinner on China (it's the only time of year we use it!) and we have a nice devotional and sing songs and such. Since we wouldn't really celebrate Christmas without Easter I'm thinking along those lines for Easter too. We're going to have a nice formal dinner and all the family is coming. Karly is VERY excited about recreating the sharing time you presented last week for the whole family. And I'm hoping we can get people on board to singing around the piano (might be a little weird since people aren't necessarily as familiar with Easter songs and Christmas carols -- at the very least we can practice the one primary is supposed to sing for sacrament meeting tomorrow). The downer is that everyone is leaving right after church on Sunday so Sunday I'm afraid there won't be much to look forward to. Hopefully that won't be the case every year.

Anyway, I really like the passover dinner idea that someone shared! I've heard of some people starting off that way and then doing something for each day leading up to the resurrection on Easter. Maybe if I think ahead better next year...