Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Our Cinnamon Roll Adventure

I did it! I made cinnamon rolls for the first time! This may not seem like a big deal to some, but my baking abilities have never attempted anything of this magnitude. I made them ALL BY MYSELF! Jason and I had planned to make them together on Saturday afternoon, but he got called into work around noon and didn't get back until after 11 pm. The experience was definitely full of many highs and lows.

I learned many things....here are the top 5 in no particular order:

1. While baking, always have the phone within your reach. (I called my mom at least 20 times. No, I'm not exaggerating. On about the 17th call, no one answered and I panicked! Luckily, she called back within 30 seconds and I was okay.)

2. Don't put your little boy in the tub when the dough is ready to be rolled out.....no matter how ridiculously dirty he is.

3. Feed your children some kind of snack or small dinner before you begin rolling out the dough. Otherwise, you risk having little people at your feet holding up food they want you to feed them. All while you are racing with the clock trying to get the rolls done.

4. Give your 4 year old the sugaring job....not the cinnamoning job.

5. Cinnamon rolls are hard and it will be a long time before I make them again!
They didn't turn out as pretty as my mom's, but I have to say they tasted pretty dang good! Practice makes perfect. Although, after spending all that time making them, I found that I wasn't as quick to scarf them down. I had a sort of reverence for them. Only for a while, though. We were all very well fed in the cinnamon roll department this weekend!

11 comments:

Kelli said...

I am so very impressed with you! Is it a good recipe? Want to share? I'd like to try it too sometime, but (I'm with you on this) I'll have to get up some guts too.

Collette said...

Those look pretty darn good to me! We made cinnamon rolls last night...they are hard to master. I think this is the 4th time I've tried, and we still have problems. Do share the recipe, please! I'm trying all different ones to see if I can find the perfect one.

Emily K. said...

I used to make cinnamon rolls all the time for Jake before we had kids. Now, it just seems like more of a hassle. They sure are yummy, though!! Good job.

Tanna said...

Way to go Maggie!! I love cinnamon rolls and no, I've never made them. Good thing I have a mother-in-law close by who LOVES to cook. I love the few things you learned. YOu crack me up. 2 more weeks!!!! I can't wait.
(By the way, you look fabulous, I love you hair cut!)

Aimee said...

You're too funny, the reverence for the cinnamon rolls caught me off guard and made me laugh!

The Birds said...

Good Job Maggie! I wish I had the motivation to bake, but to be very honest, I hate it! It never turns out the way I want it and then I have to exercise for 90 hours to get the food off my body! I wish there was some magic pill that you could put in the baked goods that made them calorie free. I would then become the best baker ever!!!

Kim said...

Kudos to you Mag. WOW! I am VERY VERY impressed. I have never attempted anything close to that magnitude since I can't even do Rhodes Rolls. I am soooo very impressed no matter how many phone calls you had to make. ;)

Wright's said...

Way to GO!

Niki said...

Man, I wish I lived near by, cinnamon rolls are my favorite and the only time we get them is when I buy Rhodes cinnamon rolls. I don't bake! I can make a mean dinner but no dessert to go along with it:)

Mom said...

The rolls look just great!!! I am proud of you!!

Debbie Deerwester said...

You are too funny. The cinnamon rolls looked fabulous!