Sunday, November 4, 2007

Will I Survive It?

The count down has begun. Only 6 more sleeps (that's how we judge time with Lucy) until my big triathlon in San Francisco. 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, and 6 mile run. Lots of anxiety going on about this race. First worry: the pool here on base has been broken down for over 2 weeks. The boilers actually broke a couple months ago, but they were still letting people swim as long as the temperature was over 65 degrees (for those of you wondering, yes....that is very, very cold to swim in). 2 weeks ago the temp. stayed below 65 and they haven't opened in up since then. They've been saying the boilers will be fixed any day now, but I call every morning and no progress. So, I haven't swam for a while. Yikes! Second worry: I have to find a wetsuit. When I tell people from California that we're swimming in the San Francisco Bay in November, they jump back in horror and exclaim that they would never, ever do that (making me feel very confident). The tough part is that I live 2 1/2 hours from the coast and I'm having a hard time finding places that rent wet suits and I don't have $200 bucks to pay for one. I called places in San Francisco and they all tell me that I really need to try one on before the race and they can't be sure they'll have one for me if I wait until I get there. My third worry also has to do with the swim in the ocean. I've had people ask me if I've practiced swimming in the waves (I'm tempted to reply, "Oh...I have my own personal wave pool in the backyard. I'm set!"). Hopefully it won't take me two years to do the swim.
Jason left this afternoon for a Jr. Officer conference in San Diego, so I'm on my own with the kids. I've got to try and find a sitter while I go to a place in town to swim a couple times to gain some confidence in that department. It should be interesting!
The best part of the week comes on Thursday. My brother, Blaine, is competing with me in the triathlon, so he and my mom and dad are flying in! We'll drive to San Francisco on Friday and compete on Saturday. We're so excited to have them here!
Even though I'm extremely nervous for the race, I'm really excited, too. There's going to be a lot of people competing to qualify for the Olympics, so it should be neat. Blaine and I will be a couple hours behind them, but oh well! Pray for us....we're going to need all the help we can get!

10 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Maggie!! I just found your blog and it is soooooooo cute. It's Jill (Fitz) by the way!! How are you!!?? I LOVE blogging and finding old friends and making new ones. Your kids are adorable. Oh my goodness :) I'm going to put you on my google reader so I can keep in touch with you!! I'll give you my address and Kim's too. FYI. So fun to see you again! Cute cute family.
quirkykirky.blogspot.com
joshnkiml.blogspot.com

Camille Foote said...

Good for you! I keep saying this is the year of the triathlon and keep chickening out or get pregnant so I am so excited for you. I just got back into training and I am planning on doing one next year let me know how it goes tell me happy stories to help me get over the chickening out phase.

Collette said...

yes, you'll survive, because you're tough like that! Good luck!

Emily K. said...

Wow, I thought my half marathon was going to be tough! I would love to do a triathlon one day, but I just can't swim. Not in the blood. I am sure you will do awesome. Good luck on the pool thing and finding babysitters, that's the worst!

Emily K. said...

Oh, by the way, I'm just running the Seattle Marathon on Nov. 25th. It's kind of a big deal up here. Hopefully I can do it, and it won't snow.

L said...

Wow! How has the wet suit hunt come? My family has some, but I don't know how if your parents have room in their luggage for it??? You are so amazing!

Aimee said...

Maggie you are so brave! Last time I was in San Fran it was June and freezing, I can't even imagine what the water temps were, they must have been freezing! Well, just thought I'd give you that little pep talk and wish you luck! :) I know you'll do a fantastic job! Good Luck, I'll be thinking of you.

The Hart Family said...

Well, I just wanted to say good luck to you! My family is training to run the Wasatch Back Relay here in Utah, and I ran my first 5K on saturday! I am excited for that and I assume you must be excited for your triatholon too!
Emily

Nells-Bells said...

Maggie,
Wow! I'm excited for you. I wouldn't be brave enough to do a triathlon...let alone run around my block. Good luck! I'm anxious to hear how it goes.

Nate and Janie said...

You'll do great! Good luck and again, sorry for that danged email about the shark. I had no idea!! Have fun and good luck!