Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Triathletes are we!

We did it!! We completed the Treasure Island Triathlon! Although, it should now be called the Duathlon because the swimming portion was cancelled due to an enormous oil spill in the bay. We found out that we wouldn't be swimming the night before when we checked in. We were pretty bummed when we heard. We've been training for a while now, so it was disappointing. But that disappointment turned into relief the next morning when we were starting the race. It was SO COLD!! Blaine's age group started at 7:30 am and mine didn't start until 8:45. So I was standing around in the cold for over an hour trying to keep my feet from going numb. I got to see Blaine do a couple laps on the bike before my wave started. The course was crazy! I wasn't too impressed. For the bike we had to do 6 laps to do the 25 miles. There were so many turns! By the end of the race there were 3 or 4 crashes (none were near me, I was going to slow to get involved in any of that drama). There was one killer hill at the end of each lap. I thought that was kinda mean of the event planners. By the time the biking was done, I was beyond happy to be off of the bike and onto the running. For the run we had to run to do 3 laps to total the 6 miles. The run is by far the easiest part for me. It was tough, don't get me wrong, but I definitely need to work on my cycling time. The end of the race was cool. Jason and the kids, Mom and Dad, and Blaine were there cheering. The announcer says everybody's name and where you're from as you cross the finish line. I was so happy to be done!! The race was tough, but we left with such a great feeling of accomplishment. It couldn't have been too bad....when we got back home, we were already online trying to find the next race. Bring it on!!
The city of San Francisco is amazing! We went to Fisherman's Wharf and shopped around for a little while. Very cool! We got some chocolate from a cute little candy store there. Lucy had a monumental break down because she couldn't decide what treat she should get (I could relate. I've been there). The Bay Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge were awesome. Especially at night. They're all lit up and they stand out in the fog. I couldn't believe how steep some of the streets in the city were.

One of my favorite parts of the trip was the night before the race. Blaine and I left the hotel for a little while and went for a walk. As we reached the top of one of the many hills, I said, "Okay Frisco....where's your night life?" I was totally joking, but I guess this guy heard me and walked over a minute later and asked what we were looking for. I made a complete idiot of myself when I responded with, "Oh, maybe a Walgreens or Rite Aid." He looked very confused. Blaine had to explain to me that he had heard my night life comment. Oops.....

We went into this little cafe and shared pear bread pudding dessert (first time trying bread pudding...not too bad). It was nice hanging out with just him and talking. Blaine is an amazing person and a wonderful brother. It's been so cool sharing these race experiences with him. I can't wait to get started on our next one (slight exaggeration.....I can wait a little bit).

P.S. We're trying to figure out how to get our videos onto our computer. Hopefully I'll be able to post some of our footage of the race soon.

12 comments:

L said...

I have been waiting to hear how things went! Way to go. Too bad about the oil spill, we had wondered if that would affect it! I am so proud of you guys. I love the pics too, you guys look great!

Tanna said...

Maggie,
I love seeing your pictures and hearing how things are going. I can't believe you both did this. Did things ever work out with a wet suit even though you didn't need one in the end? I got your message about the tag. I'm working on it. I agree it's difficult. Are you coming to Utah for the Holidays. Lucy is beautiful, do you think she'd hold out for Pete in another 17 years??

Wright's said...

You were the first thing I thought of when I heard about the oil spill. I'm glad to hear they didn't cancell the whole thing, I was worried about that. You are truely amazing. I'm glad you had such a great experience.

Emily K. said...

I, too, heard about the oil spill on the news and thought about your race. Way to go on finishing though. What a great accomplishment! My knee is pretty hurt, but the race is in 11 days. I am wondering if I should just push through the pain, and run it. But, I don't want to ruin it for the future. We'll see. You guys look great!!

JBBGirl said...

WOW!! That is so AWESOME!! You are such a motivated person! You can send some of that over here anytime! So happy for you! The pics were great!

Collette said...

Way to go!! I guess you'll have to save swimming in the ocean for another day...bummer. You guys are amazing. Makes me want to get off my little (or not so little) tushy and get moving!

The Hart Family said...

Hey Maggie, you won't by chance be in Utah at all this summer will you? We are looking for a few more people for our relay team! I don't know if it's something you would be interested in or not! Let me know!

Nate and Janie said...

Yay Maggie and Blaine! Good job you guys. I'm so glad to hear it was a good experience and the pictures are so fun. Sorry about the oil spill....that's too bad! Anyway, thanks for the update, it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!

Jill said...

Congrats!! Wow, I think I would literally die if I attempted something like that. I am sooo out of shape it is pathetic. You inspire me!! Way to go :)
That was funny about the night life reply too!! ha ha.

Camille Foote said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Thats awesome that Blaine did the race with you. I will have to remember the next time I am looking for some night life to just go hang out at Walgreens:).

Kelsey said...

Way to go Maggie! You are so awesome. Sounds like a fun time in beautiful San Fran.

Nells-Bells said...

Maggie,
So glad things went well! I was worried when I heard about the oil spill. San Fran is one of my favorite cities as well. I love the wharf and the pier and everything about the city. It's awesome. Glad you were able to go.
Janelle :p