Monday, April 21, 2008

No Dogs Allowed!

I have to apologize ahead of time to all of you dog lovers out there. Jason and Lucy have been wanting a dog for as long as I can remember. Both Graham and Lucy absolutely adore dogs. My answer is always, "No!" or "Seriously.....no!" or "Never!" It's not that I don't like dogs. They're okay. Just not in my house.

I have many arguments against the dog owning idea. Here's just a few:

1. I don't want to worry about potty training some dog while I'm still trying to potty train my kids.

2. They stink and most of the time they shed. My house already struggles with the "staying clean" factor. (It's nice blaming the lack of cleanliness on the actual house itself, not the person that should probably be cleaning it.)

3. We live far from family, so when we go on vacation, we're gone for 2 or more weeks at a time. What the heck are you supposed to do with a dog for 2 weeks? I guess we could kennel it, but that just leads me to my next argument.....

4. I would have an incredibly hard time forking out the serious dough it would take to kennel a pet for 2 weeks. Along with that, I have neighbors that spend over $1000 a year on vet expenses. No thank you!

I keep putting them off whenever they ask. Maybe when my youngest child is 4 or 5, I'll begin to think about it. Lucy is in denial. She keeps saying things like, "When we get a dog I hope it has long hair so I can brush it." The last few months she has been using my belts as leashes for her little stuffed dogs. She walks them around the house, brushes their hair, and tries to convince her friends that they are, in fact, "real".

Lucy's preschool teachers ask the students questions every now and then and post the answers on a board so we can read their funny answers. A couple of weeks ago they asked the children if they had any pets and if not, what they would have if they could choose. Let me preface Lucy's answer by explaining that we have 3 dogs in our neighborhood named Maggie. Lucy told her teacher, "I want a dog........named Maggie. Sorry kid, not going to happen!

10 comments:

McMillan Family said...

I don't blame you about getting a dog I keep saying no and then last year for Christmas we got a dog. I would like to kill the dog some days. see my last post for that reason. He is a good dog, but trust me your kids will not help with a dog until they are teenagers and probably then they won't help. Lets just put it this way I take care of the dog. I agree with you don't get a dog. If you want next time your in town you can barrow mine.
Kamie

Jamie said...

Your kids are at the age where evrything they do is funny and pretend play is the best! I'm with you on the dog thing...I've heard it's like having another kid around!

Blaine said...

I totally agree with you. I am more on the cat end of the spectrum, but even then, especially now that we have a kid, it is just something else to take care of. And that stresses me out. Just go to Pet's-Mart occasionally and let them look at the dogs, I do that with George and Blaine.

Tanna said...

I'm with ya Maggie. Saying I don't like dogs is an understatement. Thus said, you know we do have a dog. I've been true to my word: I don't touch it, pet it, clean up after it, feed or or anything else that would indicate we (Jed and the kids)own a dog. Good luck with the sick kids. I know that's horrible. Wouldn't that be funny if you did have a dog named Maggie?? Your posts always make me laugh!

Wright's said...

So you don't want us to bring Max out with us. Is that what your saying.
One of the hardest parts about having a dog is I have to watch my mouth constantly. I am always swearing under my breath about the dog. Every once in a while I slip. I'm just glad the kids aren't calling Max the Damn Dog.

L said...

Kalleen is hilarious. That is why we will NEVER have a dog, unless we move to a farm...which I am doubting. I totally got your back if you and Lucy ever have to duke it out...NO DOGS ALLOWED!

Unknown said...

I am so on that same page when it comes to dogs! Not in my house! Potty training is tough enough when you can reason with a person, and reward with toys and candy. What would you do with a dog... get frustrated, that is for sure! I am also a fairly clean house girl, and I like my house sanitized, it may not always be picked up, but it is clean, most of the time anyway, and a dog would through a wrench into that. Goooooood alternative. I will remember that next time the 'dog' discussion comes up!

Aimee said...

When I see joggers out jogging with their dog and then the dog poops and the jogger has to pick up the warm poop with a plastic bag I always tell myself that will NEVER be me! Disgusting!

AJ said...

Mag, what about your little Shiloh? We have a little girl in out ward named Shiloh and I ALWAYS think of your little doggie when I here her name. Seth used to want a golden retriever, the quintessential fishing dog. Then we dog sat for a month in Minnesota and both agreed dogs (although cute) are too much work.

jenny said...

Maggie we have two dogs and let me start by saying that I do love them but they were my children first and they have not taken so well to two little boys pestering them all day some days I feel like all I do is ref them so I would stick to your plan!