Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cruisin'

We got back Friday from our week of cruisin' with our friends, Tanna and Jed. We had a fabulous time! Our vacation started Monday when we drove to Long Beach and picked them up from the airport and made our way to the port so we could board our Carnival Ship (don't call it a boat....you'll offend the staff).
We spent Monday night getting used to the swaying of the boat and getting acquainted with our home away from home (as our cruise director, Karl, called it).
Tuesday was spent on Catalina Island. It was a little chilly there, but we had a great time. We rented a go-cart and saw the island the way the locals doWednesday we stopped in Ensenada, Mexico. We did some shopping while we tried to dodge the street vendors that wanted us to eat their fish tacos. We all wished we had t-shirts that said, "No fish tacos, no alcohol". I remember Jed saying, "No means the same thing in both languages!"
Thursday was spent at sea. This was the only day that was warm enough to get into swimsuits, so we sat in the hot tub for a while and then ate lunch in our robes.

The ports were a lot of fun, but my favorite times on the cruise were mostly on the ship. Each night we played games and had a show to watch in the auditorium. Here's a list of some of my favorite cruising moments:
-Playing Canasta as we listened to a worse-than-average piano singer belt out "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown" and countless other classic rock tunes
-The 4 of us attempting to impersonate the aforementioned piano singer

-Eating ice cream after every meal and before every activity (24 hour ice cream machine)

-debating over whether or not the ice cream was frozen yogurt and which was better

-Getting to order whatever and as much as you want for every meal (I probably gained 5 pounds on this 4 day cruise).

-Jason proclaiming "ARRRR" every time we got to our floor (the Riviera Deck was labeled with a big letter "R" on the carpet).

-Jed's impersonation of a cigarette smoking parent he had a conference with. (He's a principal).

-Playing Bohnanza as we listened to a TV Tunes trivia game going on simultaneously.

-Tanna finding the miracle cure to seasickness with some little bracelets
-Lobster Tail dinner followed up by ice cream (of course).
-Saying, "Can you even imagine having our kids here with us?" As we watched other couples on the cruise struggling with toddlers and infants.

The list could go on and on! We had such a fun time just hanging out and relaxing with great friends. It was a much needed vacation and we're so glad we did it. We're ready to book another one. Everyone start saving now so you can come along!

I need to thank my wonderful sister in law, Shellie, soooooo much for watching our kids while we were gone. It was so good to see her and spend a couple days before and after the cruise with her. What a a relief it was, knowing that our kids were in good hands while we were gone. Lucy cried for a while when she left and anytime she started being happy again, she's stop and say, "I'm still a little sad that Shellie is gone". We love you, Shell! Thanks so much!



-

13 comments:

Wright's said...

I am officially depressed we couldn't go with you. It looks like so much fun. We will so be coming along with you next time. I'm glad you all had a great time.

Lacey said...

Aren't cruises so much fun (especially with friends)? Looks like you guys had a blast and I am so glad...you definitely deserve it!

AJ said...

Sounds like so much fun! I could use a vacation. Do people bring kids on the "ship"? I'd love to bring mine along.

Heather said...

Oh I am so glad you got a vacation. That sounds heavenly right now. That is the exact cruise Cam and I took for our Honeymoon. Isn't Ensenada a crack up!

The Youngs said...

Maggie, it looks & sounds like you guys had a great time on your cruise! I'm so jealous you got to go on a vacation without the kids! Kyle and I will be lucky to get just one night away once Caylee is potty-trained. And that's coming from my mom!

Niki said...

Fun! I love cruises! I have been on that one and I especially liked Catalina, isn't it pretty!

Camille Foote said...

A cruise is next on our list of things to do. My in-laws love cruises and have talked us into going on one with them. After reading your blog I am even more convinced that a cruise would be so fun. Looks like you had a great time. Vacations are the best!

L said...

You guys look so GOOD, HAPPY, & RELAXED!!!!! Playing games and chilling at night is one of my favorite parts of a vacation. I am glad you had a great time!

cragun family said...

I am ready for a little cruisin' too. I have never been on a cruise, so that is on my list of things to do in my lifetime. It looks like you had a great time! You look GREAT by the way!

Tanna said...

Maggie,
Boy do I still wish we were cruising. Thanks so much for going along with us.

Blaine said...

I'm so glad you had fun - and I wish that we could have gone with you! Lousey tax return not coming back in time! The good news is, we really are coming to visit you in May! Blaine asked for work off already. So I think we are coming on the 14th and staying through the 17th or something like that. We might spend one night at my sister's. I am so excited to see you so soon!

Tami said...

Looks like you guys had a great time. I was wondering why you hadn't posted in awhile. I am officially jealous of you both.

Jill said...

Cute pix! Glad you had fun. I did that cruise for my highschool graduation trip with Tana and Keith and so on...it's a fun one. I think my sis Kim is doing it in June too! Cruisin' rocks.
You crack me up too that your music is New kids on the block. Memories!!!