Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cute face...quick temper!


We've entered a new stage with our little Lucy-goose. Like most, if not all, of her other stages, we're not sure how to handle it. Whenever Lucy gets upset or disappointed (friend has to go home, we have to leave, etc, etc.)she proceeds to tell me that she does not like me and occasionally hits me. When she hits, we do the immediate time out and take away something she enjoys playing with for a day or two. But, the "I don't like you, Mom!" I'm not so sure. She has started saying the same things to her friends when they make her mad, too. She's even been known to hit a friend or two in the process. Lucy never went through the biting or hitting phase early on, so I'm not sure where it's coming from. I can tell she's testing me because the few times she has swung at me, she has this look in her eye that I'm sure many of you have seen before. It's like she's saying, "Yep, I did it....Now what are you going to do?" She's quite the character!

5 comments:

Wright's said...

When you figure it out, let me in on your secret before you sell it for millions.

Emily K. said...

I wish I had some inspiring advice, but we are actually kind of in the same boat with Taylee. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Just keep on it, it will pass someday! Let me know if you find a magic potion.

Camille Foote said...

I am just impressed that you have been able to avoid the hitting phase so long. Aly already hits me when I don't allow her to do what he wants. As for the mean comments I am just lucky she can't talk yet.

Love the picture it's so hard to imagine Lucy doing any of those things with such a cute face.

Jamie said...

I've had my fair share of sassing and hitting from my three girls! That's why I'm kind of glad Daniel still can't talk. I had always thought that as they got older maybe it would get a little better. But so far, it seems to just be getting worse. Really the only thing that works for me, is to address the situation, but then focus on something positive that she's done before to reinforce good characteristics. Another idea, that I need to try is well, is from www.valuesparenting.com. I'll send you an email with more information.

Pappy O' Daniel said...

You have to figure out a different stategy for each kid. What works for one doesn't necessarily work on the next one.