Thursday, September 23, 2010

Yep...I Bake Bread Now.

I made bread today! Call me Holly Homemaker, Suzie Supermom. People everywhere make bread, but I don't want to hear about them. This was a big undertaking for me and I've been proud of myself all day! My family loved it and it made my house smell fabulous. I've put off trying to bake bread because of my ridiculous first attempt a couple months ago. Here's the story:

It all started when I got on a, "I'm a bad mom because my kids eat a lot of processed food" kick. I got a great recipe from a good friend of mine. I started my, "You can do this" and "You are gonna rock that kitchen with your bread bakin' skills" thoughts a couple days before.

The day arrived, I guess I should say, the evening arrived. Yes, folks, I didn't start my new adventure until 7 pm at night. Not sure why my wonderful mother didn't say, "That's a little late to start your new life as a bread bakin' mama, Maggie." It wasn't like she didn't have the chance to clue me in during one of the 42 calls I made to get her reassurance and guidance. Who knew you had to let the dough rise 3 different times for nearly an hour each time. My great recipe only said, "till it doubles in size".

I suspected that I would be up late, but wasn't planning on missing the buzzer on my oven going off at 1:30 am because I fell asleep on the couch. Needless to say, when I woke up at 2:45 am, the bread was black, my heart was crushed, and my will to bake bread was dead.

But, alas, the call to bake bread for a Relief Society function next month brought it back from extinction. I was not going to be defeated by a lump of flour and water (don't worry, I added a few other things, too). Now I can say with pride, "I baked bread.....and it was good, real good".

4 comments:

Lemme said...

congratulations my friend! i'm so proud!

Collette said...

I'm impressed.

Stephanie :) said...

Your bread looks so yummy! I haven't made bread for a while, but I have done it. Joshua eats homemade bread like it's a dessert- after every meal. And it doesn't last long enough to use for things like sandwiches. :) I should make some more bread- thanks for the motivation!!

L said...

Yeah Mags!!! Your first attempt sounds like a LOT of my first, second or third attempt at things.

I love your FHE posts. You are so great and fun, meaningful FHE's! Thanks for the good ideas and inspirations.