Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Buttercup

No, we most definitely did not get a cat. As many of you may or may not know, I have never really been much of an animal fan. Hate or even dislike are too strong of words. Although, I definitely "hate" the idea of having one in my home for any length of time or having to care for one. The rest of my little family would love to have a dog. Lucy wants one with all of her young-girl heart. I've spent the last four years telling Jason, Lucy and Graham that we will revisit the dog-getting conversation when Lucy turns 12.

This cat does not belong to us. We actually don't know who owns it, but it has spent a very large portion of the last 4 months in our back yard. We do not feed it, water it, or allow it in the house. Although, he has snuck in on a few occasions and I have had to let my "Cat, I Don't Hate You, But I Most Definitely Don't Like You" self out. I was changing Ben's diaper in the living room a couple months ago and the cat came moseying down the stairs. Jason had left the door open earlier that day while he was mowing the lawn and the cat took it as an invitation to come on in and make himself at home.

Lucy had him named Buttercup from about day 2 of his arrival. We didn't know it was a boy until about 2 weeks ago when my friend, who actually loves animals, took a peek. I could tell she thought I was a little heartless for not feeding him, but I reassured her that he gets plenty to eat next door. They have a couple cats and we've seen a little food and water dish outside that Buttercup helps himself to.

For a long time, Graham would come downstairs in the morning and almost immediately go outside to hang out with Buttercup. The words "hang out" could mean a number of things: Repetitively pushing his ears down (as seen in the above picture), pull on his tail, pet gently and not so gently, carry from one end of the yard to the other, etc., etc. We've had numerous conversations on how we are supposed to treat animals. We've had some success getting our point across. Regardless, Buttercup keeps coming back for more.
This is what we usually see when we come downstairs in the morning.

5 comments:

Tanna said...

That is sooo funny!! I love that it has a name!

Jamie said...

we are so on the same page, when it comes to the animal department! when we lived in NM, Lori would actually go in the neigbor's backyard and get their dog(which probably was good for the dog..it seemed to be the only attention the dog would get)! I've always found it interesting how boys always get a kick out of torturing animals..growing up, Marty and maybe even Jason, used to get a kick out of hosing our dogs down with water!

Jenny said...

So good to be able to check in on you every once in a while. I am horrible at keeping up my blog and trying to do better. Couldn't help but comment. This story is hillarious. Looks like your kids are praying harder than you are and have gotten an animal anyways. You will have to post an update if he disappears - that is so crazy.

Stephanie :) said...

I feel the same way about animals! Josh has been almost begging for a dog since we got married. I finally gave in a few months back, only because the agreement is that it is his dog, so he has to feed him, play with him, and be in charge of taking him to the vet and stuff of the sort (which he has done by delagating that part to his mom, mostly! lol). It has worked out fine so far.
It is really funny that your kids have "adopted" this kitty. It looks like you have a good thing going too- they get to play and have fun with him, and you don't have to feed or worry about it in return. :)

AJ said...

What about Shiloh??????????????