Thursday, May 14, 2009

Women's Conference

I had the pleasure of attending Women's Conference this year for the first time. It was fabulous and I enjoyed it very much. I went with my buddy, Lichelle, along with two friends from her ward and their two friends. (Did you follow that?) We went out to eat, went shopping and by the end of the two days, we were all friends. I really loved getting to know everyone. Leslie, Lichelle, Kim, Kathie, Carissa, and Me
There were so many talks that really hit home for me and helped to give me perspective. I don't want to go through all the talks, but I'll just highlight a few things I took home from the experience.
One specific quote from Merilee Webb that she had heard earlier in life was, "When you walk into a room you either add to it or take away from it." This really struck me because I feel like I tend to be more of a "take-awayer". I'm workin' on it.

From Sister Elaine Dalton's talk I learned that our temple covenants refine and define us and there is protecting power for our families when we keep those covenants.

Also, along with that, my children will see me spending my time in the temple and recognize that it is a priority to me. Their testimony of it's importance will be strengthened through my attendance.

My favorite talk was titled "Doing Your Best vs. Being the Best. As soon as I read this title in the pamphlet, I wanted to attend this workshop. Here's some ideas that struck me.

  • God knows that we have limitations. He gave them to us. But he doesn't want those to diminish our greatness.
  • There is no shadow in having a different path from other people. As long as it's a righteous path. Be all that I can be and don't waste time comparing.
  • I need to cultivate a good opinion of myself and play to my own talents and gifts the Lord has given me.
  • The direction of my progress in this life is more important than my speed.
  • Act as you want to become.

Lastly, during one of the last classes I attended, I was given a thought that didn't necessarily have anything to do with what the teacher was talking about. It was that I cannot expect kindness from my children if I don't show it to them. I need to show them how they should treat others, by how I treat them.

That may seem like a no-brainer to most, but I was grateful for the conference even just for that revelation I received. I am WAY too impatient with my kids and I find myself criticizing more than praising. As I have tried to treat them with more respect and kindness, I have seen a difference in how they treat one another and others they deal with during the day. I have a LONG way to go, but it's the direction....not the speed, remember?

Hilary Weeks performed at a concert they had one evening and I fell in love with her music! I bought her newest CD and I am so touched by one particular song, "If I Only Had Today". It has certainly changed my perspective and has also helped me in improving my daily relationship with my kids.

I am so grateful for my wonderful family that took care of my kids while I got a break. I left with a stronger testimony of Jesus Christ and felt strengthened by the reminder I received of His love for me. Life is pretty lonesome sometimes without Jason. I can be surrounded by people, but my heart still aches for him. Christ truly knows that pain and is aware of my challenges, big and small. Through Him, I can face anything.

7 comments:

L said...

I am so glad you came! I am ready to go back tomorrow!

Leslie said...

It was so fun to get to know you. Your post was a perfect recap of a great experience.

Wright's said...

Someday I'll make it down there for the conference. I need it. My biggest fear in life is that I am messing up my kids.

The Cooper's said...

I am jealous! I'm happy you were able to go and get spiritually uplifted! Just the notes you took down helped me- thanks!

Kelsey said...

You are an awesome mom Mags! And you are doing a great job with Jason gone. I can't even imagine how hard some days must feel...but you're doing it!!!

Kim said...

I loved this post! Thank you for sharing the highlights. Those were awesome points. Thanks!!

AJ said...

Thanks for this! I feel like I got a great synopsis and I didn't even have to find a babysitter! I really do appreciate the highlights. They are all things I need to apply. :)