Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mother's Day

Our Mother's Day weekend was eventful. It was a little bittersweet with Jason being gone, but being surrounded by family helped that a lot.
Reagan, Shellie, Lori, Sarah, Lucy, Daniel, Jamie
On Saturday, the kids and I went with Jason's sisters to visit their Mom's grave. Lucy and Graham had never seen it and it was nice having a group to go with. The cemetery is located just south of the Bountiful temple and I had forgotten how beautiful it is.
I didn't get a chance to get to know Judy very well. She was sick with Parkinson's disease before I met Jason and she passed away a year and a half after we were married. Although, I didn't meet the woman that Jason remembers growing up, I did get to witness her compassion and love for her kids and grand kids. She also had a pretty good sense of humor. She taught her kids well and I'm grateful for the man I have in my life because of her.
Here's me and the kids next to her headstone.
Sunday morning, my sister, Beth, and her husband, Jason, came over around 6:30 and made me breakfast in bed. I had already gotten up to shower (9:00 church makes for a rushed morning) and Beth promptly came up and told me to go back to bed. They got the kids up for me and Lucy and Graham made me some cards. I didn't have to worry about getting the kids ready for church. Beth, Jason, and Mom took care of it all.
After church, we went to see Grandma Ray. She is actually Jason's grandmother. She lives in South Jordan in a nice assisted living center. She was very happy to see us and we enjoyed visiting with her for a while.
When we got back, the kids and I had the house to ourselves for about 4 hours. This never happens! Most of the time I'm very glad that we're not alone because I get to lonesome for Jason, but it was nice for a little break. Lucy and I played games while Graham napped and then we made pizza for dinner.
All in all it was a nice weekend. I am very grateful for my family and all they do to serve me and try to make this time less hard. I can't imagine what sort of state I'd be in if I was back in California without Jason.
I hope you all had a nice day and were able to get pampered a little bit.

4 comments:

L said...

How sweet of Beth & Jason! I am glad you had a nice day...you packed a lot it!

Kellie said...

Maggie, it's Kellie Kruger Burgess :) I would love to get back in touch with you and Jason. I've enjoyed looking at your blog! Send me an email - burgess.kellie@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite to our blog. I'd love to catch up with you and your family. Please tell Jason hello for me! I tried to send you an email a couple weeks ago but it came back to me. Hope to hear from you soon!

Wright's said...

I'm so glad you got breakfast in bed. You have a great family.

Nate and Janie said...

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the day - what a great idea from Beth and Jason! Thanks for sharing!