Sunday, July 6, 2008

Our Trip to Utah

Wow.....what a trip it was! We did a good job of filling almost every moment with something fun! I'll give you some of the highlights of our time there.

My sister, Heidi, and her family live just a few blocks from Grandma and Grandpa's house, so Lucy had a ball with her cousins, Abby and Ollie. We spent one day riding the Frontrunner train down to the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City and let the kids play in the fountains there. Grandma watched Graham at home so I wouldn't have to chase him around the train. Kalleen and her bunch joined us for a great time. We had lunch at the Food Court and finished the day off with a special treat from Dairy Queen on the way home. We spent our Sunday evenings at the outdoor amphitheater at Layton Park. The city plans "Concerts in the Park" for every week during the summer. Our first Sunday there, two of my siblings and their spouses performed. The kids run around and play on the grass while we enjoy the concert. It's something I look forward to every year.

This trip we spent a lot of time in my parent's fabulous backyard. There are trees for shade and a tree house that Grandpa built a few years ago. We borrowed a fire pit one night and roasted marshmallows. Good times.

We were able to see the Wright and Perry families a few times during our trip. Always a bonus! We spent one of our days at the Wright's pool and then back at their house for lunch. Very fun. My cousin, Camille, and her family joined us, too!
Luckily we were also home during the Hickman Family Reunion at Pineview Reservoir. It was so much fun seeing so many cousins and relatives that we haven't visited with in years. We raced in some kayaks, played 500 in the water, and ate a lot of good food. Lucy, Abby, and Oliver played in the lake all day long.

We spent one day at the Roy Aquatic Center with Jason's sisters, Shellie and Jamie, and Jamie's 4 kids. We haven't seen them much, but Lucy and all the girls warmed right up to each other and had a fabulous time.
We also went for a visit to see Great Grandma Ray. Lucy and Graham had a great time in her little apartment. We always enjoy visiting with her and she's always so happy to see us.

On one of the evenings right before we came home, we got a babysitter for the kids and made our way back to the Gateway for dinner at Happy Sumo. I LOVED the food! It was seriously so good!
I asked Lucy what her favorite part of the trip was, she said, "I like LOTS of parts! Maybe playing with Abby and Ollie, going to the Gunnell's (Heidi's neighbor), and playing video games."

Here's another one of my favorite memories lists:
  • Playing Sound Off with the fam and seeing the competitive side in everyone come out with vengeance.
  • Abby, Oliver, and Lucy asking everyday if they can have a "sleepover".
  • Lunch with Kalleen, Lichelle, and Tanna in Salt Lake. These guys are some of my closest friends and the conversations are always fun. I miss them all so much!
  • Our night in Logan with the Grunigs. We had takeout from Cafe Rio (one of my favorites). They were nice enough to watch my kids during the triathlon and took them to the Nibley city parade.
  • Our evening treat runs. We had snowies, Jake's Over the Top, Sonic........the list could go on and on. Needless to say, I had some extra poundage to take home with me.
  • Being able to go to my friend, Brooke's wedding. She looked so happy and I'm glad I was able to attend her sealing.
  • Soaping Beth and Jason's car with Blaine and Josh.
  • Watching George and Graham dance their hearts out.
  • Dad, Heidi, and Jason Herman's birthday dinner on our last night there. Lots of pie and cake. What a great way to finish off the trip.
We had such a fabulous time. It was very, very hard to say good bye. We've been home 6 days and Lucy still comes up to me and says, "I'm still kinda sad we had to leave, Mom." Well, I'm still kinda sad we had to leave, too. I sure wish we lived closer. We missed our Daddy too much to stay away too much longer. Now if we could only talk him into another trip in August.

4 comments:

Wright's said...

We can't wait to see you again in August. just let us know what we can do to help convince Jason. I'm already looking forward to you moving home for a bit next year. I'm very selfish.

Aimee said...

Holy cow, sounds like you guys had a great time and a great visit. I don't blame Lucy, I wouldn't want to get back to a "normal" life either!

Collette said...

Looks like so much fun. You guys know how to pack in the fun.
We'll catch ya next time. I know how it is to be on vacation and try to see people...I'm really bad at it.

You're really moving home for a bit next year? If that is the case then we'll for sure get together then!

Debbie Deerwester said...

How much fun!!! It is so good to meet up with family and friends. Looks like you've been busy this summer. Must have been hard coming back.