Monday, May 5, 2008

What I've Been Reading

This month for my ward's book club, I've been reading The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. After hearing the title and a little bit about what the book was about, I thought to myself, "Oh great. That's all I need......a book to make me feel guilty about how I'm doing as a wife." But, I decided to at least start reading it and give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. I haven't quite finished it yet, but I have been very intrigued by the points that Dr. Laura makes. As many of you may know, she is famous for her frankness and ability to stick it to her viewers plain and simple. She doesn't beat around the bush or patronize. I have had more than a few "light bulb" moments that got me thinking and made me realize some things I need to change.
Here's a quote from the book that I thought was all too true:
A husband's inability to read his wife's mind, judge her every mood, and be responsive to her every desire does not mean he doesn't love her or that he's an insensitive boob. It more likely means that he's just a normal guy. Men generally feel in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" position. That means that if they don't say what's on their minds, they're condemned, and when they do say what's on their minds, they're condemned for "not saying the right thing".

I would definitely recommend this book to everybody. I've already noticed some changes for the better in our marriage just by making little changes in how I communicate my feelings and show my appreciation for all Jason does for us.

11 comments:

Amber said...

Yeah! I'm glad there's someone else out there who liked her book. She keeps me thinking. Sometimes I agree with her (I listen to her radio show)and sometimes I don't but I like her for the most part. I was like you when I started to read the book- but she's got some really good points. :)

Kim said...

I've read it. It is an easy read and has good points. I took from it: don't beat around the bush with your husband. Tell him exactly what you want, don't play "games" and confuse him.

Blaine said...

That is hilarious. Blaine would definitely agree with that quote - that happens a lot with us! oops! I borroed the book from my friend a while ago, but I still haven't read it. So now I will have to!

JBBGirl said...

That is so funny that is what you are reading because literally 5 days ago I was debating whether to buy it or not and because I didn't know anyone personally who had read it I opted out. Instead I bought a book called Home by Choice by Dr. Brenda Hunter. I haven't cracked the cover yet but will let you know how it is. I for sure am going to order the Dr. Laura book now that I have a review from someone I know! Thanks for sharing it! HUGS!

The Cooper's said...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm also open to finding new ways to communicate better. I'm excited to read it!

Niki said...

I have read it, and I really liked it. Dr. Laura has also written "The Proper Care and Feeding of a Marriage" it is excellent for you and your hubby.

AJ said...

I read it when it first came out, I love how she explains how simple and easy to please men are. For the most part our husbands would capture the moon for us as long as we feed them and kiss them regularly.

Kelli said...

I really liked this book too. Adam noticed a difference in how I was treating him as I was reading it (guess I must have been a pretty awful wife to make it that obvious). He started asking me quesitons like, "so what did you learn from Dr. Laura today?" I think he's really curious about how our book club discussion will go on this one. I jokingly told him I would "bug" myself for the club meeting if he really wanted me to. I think he almost kind of WANTS me to!

Jill said...

I've started this book twice now and currently should be reading it, but it's still sitting un-opened. I'll try again!

Unknown said...

Your book club! I haven't heard about your book club for awhile--what else are you guys reading?

finimedic said...

Last week Claar & I stopped in to see Kellie Burgess with Colten (Aaron's latest creation), of course the Ray-man's name came up and we were wondering how you were all doing... This blog is wonderful (Emily hooked me up) Congrats to your fantastic little family, I am so proud of Jason!!!Love, Janine Jackman