Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom to the Rescue

My mother's day had a rough start. Jason had his church meetings this morning like always and Lucy was in rare form. She had decided she wanted to wear her Christmas outfit that comes with a cardigan with a furry collar and snowflakes all over it. Usually I choose not to have the apparel fight with Lucy and I let her wear whatever, but I did not want her to wear this festive outfit in the middle of May. I told her she could wear the skirt with a shirt, but no sweater. Needless to say, a battle was waged then and there. Lucy cried and cried and screamed and cried some more. Even though she did most of this crying in her room ("I want DADDY!", "Mom is SO MEAN!"), for some reason it was getting on my nerves so badly that I had to call my mother to have her stop me from going into Lucy's room and giving her something to really cry about.

My mom, true to character, calmed me down and helped me to laugh at the situation a little bit. I hung up with her and she called back and I let Lucy answer the phone to talk to Grandma. Mom made small talk for a bit and then asked if Lucy was wearing the Easter dress that Grandma sent her for this special mother's day. Lucy could not be convinced to wear anything other than the Christmas outfit, but Mom said something about how she hoped she wasn't wearing the sweater because it's just too hot. The idea worked and Lucy's mood changed as soon as she remembered that she had a mother's day gift for me that she made at preschool.

Thanks for the help, Mom!

Lucy's gift was a cute little box that she had painted with a darling little poem inside. It was the sweetest thing to see how excited she was to give it to me and how proud she was of her work. I had to laugh at how quickly and drastically her mood can change in a matter of seconds! (I wonder where she gets that from?)

On the way to church, Lucy was practicing the songs that the primary was going to sing in sacrament meeting. It made my morning so much brighter to hear her sing, "I often go walking in meadows of Grover" all the way to church.

During the talks and the primary music given during our meeting, I got a little bit emotional because I miss my Mom. I'm so grateful for all she has taught me and for the wonderful person that she is. I'm so blessed to have her as my mother.

I also miss Jason's mom. She passed away while I was pregnant with Lucy. I didn't have a chance to have a real close relationship with her, but I knew how much she loved Jason. I just know how proud she must be of Jason and the husband and father he has become.

Wow, that got kinda lengthy, but oh well. I hope you all had a great mother's day. I'm off to enjoy the dinner and brownies that Jason made for me while I took a long nap. What a guy!

7 comments:

paulandbrianna said...

Thanks for sharing a brief part of your Mother's Day with us. We sure do love you guys and your kids it makes it easier being away from family on these kinds of days.

Paige said...

Hey it's Paige Marston Sparrow, I have finally found where everyone has been hiding their blogs, and I think I am going to join in. I just read that your Jason is in the Navy, well my Scottie is in the Army. He just got home from nearly a 1 1/2 year deployment last September. So if/when that happens for you, you are more then welcome to call me. I know what it is like to be home with small kids. My youngest was 8 weeks old when he left, and he cam home when Evan was 1 1/2 yrs. I also have 2 other kids. My oldest is Mason and he is 5, Kazzie is 3 1/2 and Evan is now 2. So I'm here for you!

AJ said...

What a great family you have. I seriously cannot wait for the day that I meet Lucy in person. She is the funniest 4 year old that I've never met! Are you ever going to visit Colorado? I'm willing to pay for Lucy's airfare just so I can meet her.

Unknown said...

What is it about our mothers that helps us get through those rough days? I thought that by the time I got past 25 years old, I wouldn't have to call mom for "emotional counsel", but it seems that I need it as much now as ever! I'm happy to know someone else calls their mothers in moments of duress.

The Youngs said...

Aren't moms the best? I will FOREVER call my mom to save me in large or small dilemmas. I'm glad your Mother's Day was really great overall. It's nice to have at least one day a year where we as moms can be recognized, but also to pamper and shower our own mothers and mothers-in-law with extra love.

Can't wait to see you guys soon!!!

Raber Family said...

You are a great MOM. I think we all have those moments where we rush to the help of our own Mothers. Thank goodness we all had good teachers.

jenny said...

Maggie that is so sweet I can't imagine being away from my mom either! lucky kids listen to their grandmas eah?