Saturday, February 2, 2008

What songs get you pumped?

Jason and I, along with a few members of my family, are training for the Red Rock Canyon 1/2 marathon in Las Vegas. The date is coming upon us quickly. Only 4 more weeks until the big day and fun weekend with my fam!

Jason and I got to go for a run together today without the jogging stroller! My neighbor was nice enough to watch the kiddos while we made our way around the base. Jason is an animal.....he has been so busy with work and classes, he hasn't been able to run for almost 2 weeks and he still ran the whole 8 miles with me. We had over an hour to talk. We started with some ABC games (name foods that start with each letter or your favorite thing that starts with each letter, etc, etc.). From there the topics ranged anywhere from deployment to what parenting techniques we want to use as our children grow up. I got kinda grumpy near the end so he had to put up with some whining. At that point he's not allowed to talk about anything that I claim, "Takes to much brain power to think about". I really enjoyed spending that time with him.

Usually I'm on my own in the running department. I get up early and go to treadmill at the gym or run outside. I've got an Ipod that I use and I feel so much more motivated and I'm able to run faster and longer if I've got some good tunes to listen to. It's better for me to have 8-10 songs that I really like and listen to them over and over again than to have 20 songs that are okay. I get bored with the songs really fast.....I can only listen to the same ones for about a week and then I'm no longer energized by them. Here's a list of my current running tunes. This list has actually lasted a couple weeks.

This Love Blake Lewis

Speed of Sound Coldplay

Not Ur Girl Katherine McPhee

Dangerous Katherine McPhee

Gone Kelly Clarkson

First Time Lifehouse (my current favorite song)

Savin' Me Nickelback

Love Song Sara Bareilles

Not Just a Pretty Face Shania Twain

Apologize Timbaland

I love that you can buy just one song off of iTunes for 99 cents! It makes updating my playlist a lot more fun and not too expensive.

I'm having a hard time coming up with some good songs to change it up a bit. You'd be surpised by some of my previous playlists. Artists ranged anywhere from Garth Brooks to Celine Dion and then on to more Kelly Clarkson and Van Halen. What are some of your favorites that get you motivated or pumped up? I got 9 miles to run next week and I want some tunes to get me through it!

10 comments:

Aimee said...

You've already got my latest fave "Apologize" on your playlist. I LOVE that song for some reason. When it comes on in the car I turn it up so I can't hear my kids and jam out like I'm a gangster or something just driving down the street--probably to Wal-Mart--real gangsters go to Wal-Mart right?

Emily K. said...

Pat Benatar and the Bangles really got me through my half marathon training. Good luck in the training. I quit running so much lately because it is so darn cold! I bet it's nice to live in CA when you can run all year long. Good luck with the training. Gotta love the Ipod Shuffle! I got one too!

The Birds said...

I have the worst music knowledge ever! I don't know who sings anything, I just like the songs, so I am no help! Mike got me a shuffle for my B-day and I handed it off to my sweet friend Heidi Blackner (Cooper) and she put all these wonderful songs on it. If I don't like the song I just skip to the next! I agree that you need the music to run!!!! Good luck with the marathon! Heidi and I ran the Logan 1/2 in August it was amazing! Have you ever done that one? I loved running through the mountains, there was somehting spiritual about it! We were planning to do the Ogden half, but sweet Heidi is finally prego! So I guess I will go Solo or with the girls in my ward! I wish you lived closer so I had a committed running partner! GOOD Luck and I am sorry that I am no help!

Unknown said...

Your list is automatically disqualified due to its inclusion of Nickleback. Thank you for playing.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Your list is automatically disqualified due to its inclusion of Nickleback. Thank you for playing.

Tanna said...

I'm sorry to be of no help. I have such a hard time with music. It's not that I don't like it, I just get stuck with the Curious George soundtrack ALL THE TIME. It's kind of sad when Abby, just 2, knows all the songs. I guess that it a battle I choose not to pick. We are running the 1/2 marathon in Salt Lake in April. I'll have to get a playlist from you. Any word on Hawaii?

Jenny said...

I am no good with artist names and titles I just know I like the song when I hear it. I really like Feel good inc fromt he Gorilaz and Stronger by Kayne West. Let me know what you think.

Allison said...

Hi Maggie! It's Allison Mckinstry Barben--I found your blog through York and Jenny, and it's so fun to see your cute family and read about what you have been up to. I love how you write about all of your adventures.....I love the Gilmore Girls too, and am sad that I no longer have a new episode to look forward too.
Anywho, I am a big music person too when I work out, so here are some of my favs, and please don't be mortified by my selection, I really like songs with good beats, i.e maybe not the best moral message. :-)

"Yeah"--Usher
"Thunderstruck"--ACDC
"She's a Maniac--song from Flashdance"--it has a good fast tempo to keep your pace when running.
"I can Fly"--Celine Dion
"Don't Blink"--Kenny Chesney
"I go Back"--Kenny Chesney
"Since U Been Gone"--Kelly Clarkson
"Jump"--Van Halen
"Standin on Top of the World"--Van Halen
"Home"--Michael Buble--has a real chill beat when cooling down.
"It's Rainen Men"
Anything from the Killers or the new stuff from Maroon 5
"So Small"--Carrie Underwood
"Sexy Back"--Justin Timberlake
The new stuff from Rhianna is good too, and I am diggin Timbaland these days too.

I'm sorry, most people reading will probably think, "what the heck" when it comes to my wierd eclectic taste in music. Good luck on the 1/2 marathon, I haven't done one of those yet, justa some 10k's, but I need to, so I can set a goal and work towards it. I am glad you guys are doing well in California. Marci lives in Palm Springs now with her husband and they really enjoy it out there. Take care!

Blaine said...

Hey - I really like this song by a weird British guy named MIKA - it's called "Grace Kelly." Actually it is on our blog, but it seems like it has a good running beat to it! I hope everything is going well, and I really wish I could come to Las Vegas with you guys - lousey singing competition!