Thursday, February 14, 2008

The influenza bug bites hard!

Happy Valentines Day to me. I am going on my 3rd day sick with what the urgent care doctor said is influenza. When I think influenza, I think stomach flu, which usually includes vomiting or diarhea. I have none of that. Just a ridiculous cough, roaring fever, and a headache that won't quit. As you can see from the picture, I am very drugged up, so at this particular moment I am doing okay. I read on the internet that influenza is actually a respiratory illness and that the "stomach flu" is more commonly caused by a parasite or something besides the influenza virus. Interesting.
Anyways, my neighbors have been absolutely wonderful to help us out. They've taken care of my children and made me dinner. I'd be lost without them. Jason took most of today off, but then got called in on an emergency this afternoon. Graham is home with me now. Here's my creepy attempt to not get him sick (see picture below........it's a pillowcase).
The doctor said it could last anywhere from 3-5 days to 2-3 weeks. Awesome. We're praying that I'm on the upswing. I'm feeling like a real winner mom......I didn't get my kids flu shots. I know......I rock.

Happy Valentines Day to you all. I hope you're all able to show your sweetie more love than I am this year.

12 comments:

Jamie said...

How annoying-hopefully the kiddos won't get it-not fun!

Wright's said...

Reading this is getting me thinking maybe Jared has influenza. He kept me up all night caughing and then shaking violently from the chills. And all this while he was druged up. I hope you start feeling better soon.

JBBGirl said...

I sure do hope you feel better. If you need anything I am just a phone call away! The is going around everywhere. My mom had the very same thing in AZ and my best friend in CO and her kids just had it too! Rest and get healthy! Hugs!

Emily K. said...

Wow! Sorry you had such a bummer Valentine's Day. I hope you start feeling better soon. Don't worry about the no flu shots thing. My kids both got their shots, and have already had a bad case. (I did hear that the shot tends to shorten the duration) Anyways, good luck. Too bad you have to do your race so soon too. Sickness always kills training.

Kelsey said...

Oh Maggie...I feel for you. Influenza is what landed Katelyn in Primary Children's last year for 5 days. She had the flu shot and still got one of the "other strains" not protected by the shot, so don't feel guilty. Get better and drink lots of fluids.

Amber said...

Blahhh for you. :( My kiddos didn't get shots either- so far no flu- knock on wood. I like your attempt to keep your kids from getting it. :) I hope it works. You are a good mom!

Blaine said...

I'm so sorry! That is SO annoying! My sister is sick too - I think she has the flu too. There is nothing worse than being sick and still having to take care of kids. I feel ya.

The Hart Family said...

You know I didn't get my kids their flu shots either...I will never forget again! Abigail got it and then Andrew got it. They were miserable for days. Luckily Ammon and I never really got it.

Niki said...

Oh man, that is awful!! I hope you get better soon!
We are living in Kaysville, across from DHS..for another week and a half and then we are moving into my mom's basement. We are building a new house and ours sold...!! Anyway, I am going to add you to my blog list if that is ok! I am so glad that I found you and if you are in Utah we should get some the soccer gals together for a visit! I miss you!!

Collette said...

I hope you get feeling better soon. I do like the mask...very clever. Just so you know Bridger didn't get a flu shot either.

Kim said...

Hey Maggie, just wanted to join the "no Flu shot" club. The only year I go the shot I got the flu. I have never gotten since, nor do I have my kids get it. So you're not a bad mommy. I love the pillowcase mask! Hope you get feeling better!

Chelsey said...

Apparently, it's a national epidemic. Half of the people in my office were out sick this week with exactly what you're describing. So far I have only gotten a little run down, not full blown sick. Feel better, Maggie!