Thursday, January 22, 2009

Me, My Man, and the Mississippi

I spent last weekend with my favorite person in the world. We had such a fabulous 3 days! I couldn't have asked for a better vacation.
I arrived in Gulfport, Mississippi on Friday afternoon. After Jason picked me up from the airport, we had dinner at The Shed. If any of you have seen Sweet Home Alabama, you might remember the bar that they hung out at. This restaurant reminded us of that. We felt we were really experiencing the south.
After dinner, we made our way to New Orleans (about 90 miles away).
Our hotel was so nice! We stayed on the 19th floor of the luxurious Westin. We were right next to the Mississippi River and the famous French Quarter. We spent all day Saturday just shopping and checking out the sites. We were able to walk everywhere. The weather was fabulous and I was so happy just to be with him.


That night we went to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. Jason got these enormous nachos and I enjoyed some coconut shrimp. YUM!

On Sunday we made our way back to Gulfport and stayed on the base there that night. We took a couple walks around the base and talked about the months ahead.
My flight left at 6:00 am on Monday morning and I was so sad to leave. It was a weird feeling because I wanted to be there with Jason, but I missed my kids, too. I just wanted him to get on that plane with me.
Jason will be here for the first week in February. Then the kids and I will fly to California to spend 4 or 5 days with him there before he deploys. We still have a few more goodbyes to get through. Wish us luck!





14 comments:

Debbie Deerwester said...

It's so great that you got to see each other!! Looks like you two had a blast. Our ward just isn't the same without the Ray family. Miss ya!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you were able to go see Jason. I know it wasn't too long, but I'm sure you cherished every moment. It looks like you also were able to see the best of New Orleans--I am so jealous!

Jaime Boots said...

Wow! That was a lot of Nachos! All I could think about was when you first brought him to my house and Maria said, "I like him. He's an eater."

Kim said...

What a fun trip for you two. I loved the pile of nachos, wow! Happy late Birthday too!

Wright's said...

Happy Late birthday, I am such a loser, and not very good with birthdays. Honestly my kids are lucky that I know their birthdays. I can't believe I called you on your birthday and said nothing. AWESOME. Your trip looks like fun. Now I want some nachos. We need to get together soon.

Kindred Family said...

I sounds like a really fun trip and I'm so glad you got to go visit Jason. I'm getting hungry just looking at those nachos!

Tanna said...

What a fun trip!! I'm sorry he couldn't hop on the plane home with you.

Nells-Bells said...

awesome! so glad you were able to go visit your hubby. those nachos look amazing! wow. i want some.

cragun family said...

wow mag, that looks like a lot of fun! I really want those nachos. And a few of your coconut shrimp!
BTW, Happy birthday.
Hope everything goes okay with the goodbyes, My heart goes out to you! Hang in there! lots of love!

The Cooper's said...

Maggie,
You are so strong. I am reading though your last couple of posts and I'm fighting back tears. How hard it must be for you and Jason right now and how proud you must be of him. What an amazing couple you two are. Hang in there. He will be home before you know it.

paulandbrianna said...

Sounds like so much fun and probably good to see Jason again. I ate at the same Jimmy Buffet Resturant in New Orleans and it also sounds like you French Quarters experience was a lot better than mine, but thats another story for another time.
We just got back to Lemoore and realized you guys were gone and its not the same just being able to drop by. Miss Ya!!

Raber Family said...

What a fun time for the two of you to be together. I know the "Mommy" feeling of wanting to be with the kids too. Glad you got to be together and we'll be thinking of you as you get ready to say more goodbyes. Love you all and sure miss you at Church. I'm teaching the 6/7 year old class now.

whitney williams said...

I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your hubby!! That's so hard to be away like that...You are a strong woman!

Paige said...

Oh Maggie I can so relate! I flew up to Washington to spend a couple of days with Scott when he got home from Iraq, but was still doing de-mob stuff. I missed my kids, but hated leaving Scott. I am here if you need me! I am serious!