Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Girls State Forever, Baby!

Some of you might ask, "What's Girl State?".  I had the same question back when I was in high school.  All I knew was that my sister, Heidi, went and she told me to go.  It supposedly looks good on college applications and resumes.  So, I signed up for the gig.  Actually, I had to "try-out".  I think I wrote a short essay and then had to meet at an American Legion meeting and talk to some senior citizens about government stuff.  I really don't remember the details. 
 
In fact, I don't really remember much of anything that happened during the week I spent at Girls State.  I remember it was in Cedar City at SUU.  Everyone was split up into groups.  I think my group was Matheson City?  There were elections for governor, mayors, and all sorts of stuff.  That's about all I can recall about the actual events of the week.  The most important thing to come from my time there is my friendship with these two ladies. 
 
This is me, Aimee Giles, and Brooke Robbins back in 1997...I think that's the right year.  I don't know what it was that drew us together, but we've been friends ever since that crazy week.  (Side note:  "Crazy" is not a very good word to describe what took place at Girls State.  The meetings and elections and such were actually quite, quite boring, but becoming as fast of friends with these girls was "crazy".)
 
                       
We stayed in touch.  I'm not sure when it was (I think it was the next summer), but Brooke and I drove to Castle Dale to watch Aimee star in a pageant of some kind.  Brooke played soccer for Cottonwood High School, so we saw each other when Layton played against them.  We had a few lunch dates during high school, I think.  Aimee and Brooke were roommates at Ricks College.  Through the years, we always checked in on each other with phone calls, emails, lunches, etc. 
 
 Fast forward to now.  This is Brooke Krim, Aimee Wright, and me at our latest get together.  One of my favorite things to do when my little family makes our bi-annual trips to Utah is to have lunch with Aimee and Brooke.  Nearly every summer and every Christmas we get together for a few hours and just talk.  I absolutely LOVE IT.  By the end of our lunch, the waiter or waitress always hates us because we stay so long in the restaurant catching up.  These girls know everything about me.  There have been many social situations where I leave and think, "Oh man.....I WAY over shared."  Do you know what I mean?  Not with these girls.  Even though we see so little of each other, I can tell them anything and not feel judged or looked down upon.  Aimee called it "safe" and I love that! 
 
This year we tried something different.  We got together at Brooke's mom's house in Salt Lake City and let the kiddos play.  It was so fun!  I stole most of these pictures (including the ones from Girls State) from Aimee's blog....thanks, Aimee!!  Now if only I could figure out how to make more than just the first two pics bigger.

Noel, Graham, Gavin, Morgan, and Brooklynn
 

 
Here's Gavin and Graham getting ready to give the slip 'n slide a try. 
 

 
The yard is absolutely beautiful.  Joy Robbins, Brooke's mom, had this tree house put in for her grandkids.  It was a hit! 
 

 
There's a little stream running through the yard that the kids loved playing in.  
 
Cute Brooklynn and Lucy.  I was so happy watching all of our kiddos run around together.  It took them a little while to warm up, but soon they were having a great time and playing like old friends. 
 
Gavin and Benny
 




 
 
Both Brooke and Aimee have become women that I admire so very much.  They both have such strong testimonies of the gospel and it shows in how they react to the trials they face.  So much strength and so much joy despite what life throws at them.  I am so grateful for their examples and their friendships. 
 
Our next lunch will be at a little pizzeria in Sicily......right girls?

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I'm starting to starve myself now so I can eat, eat, eat when we come to visit! I thought I was the only one who walked out of our get-togethers who over shared. :) Love ya tons.

L said...

So glad something wonderful came out of that long, hot, ahem *boring* week :)