Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back to School

School started super early here in Phoenix.  August 6th, to be exact.  Poor Lucy didn't get out of school in Oxnard until June 23rd.  Her summer was cut short this year, but with the new move, we were anxious to go to school and make new friends.  

We started a new tradition this year (thanks for the ideas, Lichelley).  The Sunday night before the first day, we had a special dinner planned for the kids. That morning we had each of them decorate their own crowns.  We didn't tell them what it was for, though.  

After church, we sent them to their rooms to play so that Dad and I could set up.  When our meal and atmosphere was ready, we called them in.  We had fun announcing each of them separately and presenting them their crowns.   


Princess Lucy


Prince Graham


Prince Benny


Dinner itself was Jason's homemade pizza, a crowd favorite.  
We talked about how each of them are children of Heavenly Father and how that makes them royalty.  We discussed the importance of gaining knowledge on earth so that we can take what we learn with us into the eternities.  School provides the opportunity for them to gain knowledge.  
It was fun to focus on each of them individually and point out how their strengths are going to help make them good students.  
Graham 
My little buddy started kindergarten this year.  
We didn't know they had to wear uniforms until about 4 days before school started.  YIKES!  We ordered some online that night and they got here just in time.  



He's enjoying his teacher, Mrs. Estrada.  He only goes for half a day (afternoon), but he loves going early and eating lunch with his friends.  After only one day, he wanted me to just drop him off and not go in with him.  

Lucy was quite nervous about starting at a new school.  She missed her friends at Marshall Elementary.  She was not pleased with the early start to her 4th grade year.  Luckily, a friend from our ward is in her class!  They get to sit by each other and have become great buddies.  

I couldn't get this one to flip.  
I actually love that they have uniforms.  It makes getting ready in the morning super easy and I think they look so cute all spiffied up for school.  I think it helps them take it more seriously, too.  


2 comments:

L said...

Your feast sounds awesome! I wish I could have been there. Your kids are so lucky to have such awesome parents. I love the uniform look too!

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness - I need to call you daily for parenting tips. I love all the ideas you have.