Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My F-18 Ride

FYI This was posted by Jason not MaggieMonday I had the opportunity to take the ride I have been trying to get since I got here 3 years ago. My time here in Lemoore I have had multiple projects working around the jets. From building a new air traffic control tower to replacing the lights on the runway. I have been around them, watched them take off and land, felt the ground shake as they fly over and felt the heat from the engines as they fire up. I finally got the rare opportunity to actually take a back seat ride. It was a pretty amazing experience. I gained a whole new appreciation for the pilots that are able to fly these jets while experiencing the extreme stresses that are placed on the body while performing the maneuvers.I flew with an instructor pilot who was participating and training evolution with the student pilots. The student pilots would find us, lock on their radar and then we would try to break the radar lock. I survived the take off and some of the initial maneuvering pretty well, but once we got into the consecutive maneuvers, trying to break the radar lock, I was not able to handle things quite as well. That being said, this was an amazing opportunity I am so glad I was able to experience. Definitely one of the best perks that have come with being in the navy.

7 comments:

Beth and Jason said...

Okay this is hilarious! I thought Maggie was posting the blog. I was like, that is crazy they let her fly in a plane! I also thought it was strange Maggie had fixed lights on runways, it took me a few reads to understand what was happening. Way to go on the flight of a lifetime Jason!!!

Beth and Jason said...

P.S Maggie, I love the hair!!!!!

Mom said...

Pretty neat, Jason!! Something you will remember all your life!

Mom said...

Pretty neat, Jason!!! That is a once in a lifetime experience!!Something to remember all your life!

Nate and Janie said...

I also thought Maggie was writing the blog and I couldn't believe the Navy would let a wife/spouse fly in the jet but then I realized what was going on. I hope you enjoyed it and didn't lose your cookies too bad!! I also like your hair Maggie, how are you liking it?

paulandbrianna said...

okay so jason has made paul jealous. but thats awesome glad you enjoyed it!!

Wright's said...

What a great experience, I glad you made it through it.