Monday, October 6, 2008

General Conference Tidbits

General Conference was fabulous! I had a very uplifting 2 days. So many talks that were given seemed just for me.

Side note: For those who don't know, General Conference is a meeting held twice a year by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (of which we belong). We hear from our beloved prophet as well as his apostles and many other leaders of our church.

It seemed like a lot of the talks had some good one-liners. I found myself listening for them with each speaker. Here are some of them that I've been thinking a lot about today and I hope to be able to put into practice and make stick:

"Seek to simplify"
L. Tom Perry

"You don't know everything, but you know enough."
Neil L. Anderson
This one spoke to me. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with the idea of missionary work and sharing what I believe with friends. I worry my knowledge of the gospel is too weak and I won't know answers to questions. I need to remember that although I don't know everything, I know enough and how can I not share what I know! Which leads me to the next quote:

"In the strength of the Lord I can do all things."
Elaine S. Dalton
Lots of overwhelming things are coming my way. Jason is deploying the beginning of next year and if I think about it too much, my heart starts racing and I can't breathe. I know by myself I would be in trouble, but with the Lord's help I can do all things.

"We cannot afford to be superficially righteous."
M. Russell Ballard
This one hit home. If I really evaluate my life, I find myself falling into this trap. I go to church, we pray with our children and have family home evening, I fulfill my church calling. From the outside looking in, I'm doing pretty good. It's the times when I'm alone that I fall short. I need to have consistent scripture study and more meaningful prayer. The time is now!

"In the process of waiting for these angels, may we all be a little more angelic ourselves."
Jeffery R. Holland

"Never let a problem to be solved be more important than a person to be loved."
President Thomas S. Monson
So powerful! Sometimes I need to just chuck the to-do list and sit and listen to my kids!! He also said in that same talk "Choose not to focus on what is missing in your lives, but on the abundance." I can most definitely work on that!

I hope all those who got a chance to listen to the talks enjoyed them as much as I did. Interested in reading more? Visit www.lds.org

1 comment:

Nells-Bells said...

I felt the same way...so many of the talks were just for me! I love listening to Gen. Conf. and being uplifted. It truly replenishes my spirit and I can't wait for the next session. So wonderful!