Monday, March 4, 2013

Coaching @ Deer Valley

What a fun experience this was!  Back when I found out I would be moving to Phoenix, my dear friend, Michelle Pulley Bodily, had just gotten the head soccer coaching position at Deer Valley High School.  I secretly hoped she'd ask me to be her assistant.  She did and at first it wasn't going to work with my fam's schedule (Jason's classes, childcare for the kiddos).  So I had to turn it down.  I was sooooo bummed.  Then, she called me back a month or two later and asked if I'd be available to assistant coach just for December and January.  The school gave them a stipend for an additional coach.  Well, to make a long story short, I was able to!  It ended up only being a total of 4 weeks, but I had a great time and loved every minute of it!
I was technically helping with the JV team, but helped Michelle out with varsity during practices.  Coach Cruz was the main JV coach. These girls were so fun and surprisingly very kind and immediately sweet to me.  I was so grateful!

Some of the varsity players.

This was at our last JV game at Boulder Creek High School.  These girls kept me laughing and at least pretended to think I was pretty funny, too.  


The girls COULD NOT get over how much Michelle and I look alike.  They said it ALL THE TIME. So funny!  When they found out we were both Mormon......they couldn't believe it.  

So, nearly every game was sooo cold.  I know, how cold could it be?  It's Phoenix.  But the varsity games were always played under the lights and didn't start till 7:00 pm.  Jason and I would try to come up with ways I could stay warm and not be shivering like crazy the whole time.  



The banquet at the end of the season was a lot of fun.  It made me sad that I won't be helping next year.  I really did enjoy getting to know they and actually helping a few of them understand the game better.  




Here's a few of my "favorites".  Don't tell.  
Gabby, Erin, and Micki


My twin and I 


Gabby. Erin, Jackson, Micki, Haley
Coach Cruz, Jeanetta, and I

What a fun month it was!  I realized, again, how much I LOVE soccer and truly miss it.  I loved laughing and joking around with Michelle again and felt cool when she'd ask my advice on something.  

I feel like I'm entering a new phase in life.  I've been working with the Young Women in our ward for 6 months now and I truly love it!  6 years ago I had the same calling in a different ward and I HATED it.  Maybe I've learned to chill a little bit (imagine that) and I can see the opportunity I have to really connect with this age.  So fun!!  

2 comments:

L said...

Crazy! You two do look a lot a like now, its your gorgeous smiles!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it and were able to do it. Lucky girls!

Aimee said...

Way to pass your talents to others! Those are some lucky girls.