Sunday, November 4, 2012

Graham-Bo


I can't believe my little man is six years old.   I love his bright blue eyes and unique smile.  He's turning into such a handsome kid.  

There are so many things I want to remember about Graham at this age.  Just typing that makes my heart hurt a little because I know he's going to grow up not be my little boy any more.

-One of Graham's latest "things" is that he always asks what words "mean".  "What does prepare mean?"  These questions usually come after a lecture I've given him.  Which is why one of my personal favorites was, "What does appropriate mean?"

-Graham has only lost one tooth, but a few couple adult teeth have already grown in behind his baby teeth.  The bottom of his mouth looks crazy right now.  So many teeth, so little room!

-He still loves his waffles in the morning with peanut butter and syrup.

-It's been so fun to work with Graham in memorizing the Articles of Faith.  He's a champ!  He knows  1-5 already and it makes me smile every time.  So many big words for a little kid.

-In years past, Graham has been known to introduce Benny like this, "This is my brother, Ben.  I don't like him very much."  Well, he's warming up and admits now to liking and possibly even loving him.  Although, every once in a while he'll say, "See?  That's why I don't like little brothers!"  No one can push his buttons more quickly than Benny.  I love seeing Graham serve him, though.  He'll help him find his shoes or make sure he has his blanket at night.  I heard him reading a book to him the other night when they were supposed to be sleeping.  He came out to tell me that Ben fell asleep while he was reading to him.  He was very proud.

-It is FINALLY starting to cool off a little bit here in Phoenix.  The other day we were walking out to the van and he said, "Mom, aren't you glad it's not summer anymore!"

-Whenever he's singing a funny song or singing along with music we're playing, he tilts his head to the side and shakes it a little bit.  It's hard to describe, but it's like he's on stage and performing.  So subtle, but so hilarious to me!

-Graham is doing great in school!  Such a smart kid.  He has a fabulous kindergarten teacher and he's excelling in all of the work.  I worry a little bit because he's actually pretty bored with the work they are doing, but I can't complain.  He enjoys his classmates and I've enjoyed being able to volunteer every once in a while in his class.  I bring Benny with me and we help with the centers they do on Thursdays.  Every once in a while, Graham will stop what he is doing and say to me from across the room,  "Mom.  Mom!  I love you."  Melts my heart.  

-We're still working on helping Graham learn a little tact.  The boy just basically says whatever is on his mind.  If someone is teasing him (especially adults) he tells them to stop.  He tells it like it is.  You still never have to wonder how Graham feels about something, whether it's great or horrible.  Zero to 100 emotionally in a matter of milliseconds.

-He still pronounces the word, remember as "bremember".  Love it.

Last week I took Graham on a date.  Lucy was having a friend over to play and he was feeling very left out.  I told him we could go do whatever he wanted; mini-golf, a movie, bowling.  He chose to go to Peter Piper Pizza and play the arcade games.  Easy enough!  So, off we went.  


He hit the jackpot on one of the games he played.  He had to try and catapult a ball into a hole.  He made it into the 500 jackpot hole!  The tickets kept coming and coming!  It took him quite a while to choose all his prizes at the desk.  I was super patient, too ; ) 



Some of my favorite quotes from the night came as we were inserting our tickets into the counter.  "We sure are winners!"  and "We're fans."  I asked him what we're fans of, he said, "of the tickets!"  


I always love it when I can spend one on one time with Graham.  There is rarely a time when it's just me and him.  The curse of being the middle child.  He says the funniest things and keeps me smiling the whole time.  

This is one of my favorites from Graham's latest works of art.  He drew it for Benny because he loves The Incredible Hulk.


We've been going through a bit of a rough patch with Graham.  Since the move he's been struggling just a little bit.  He's extra emotional and sensitive.  On top of the move and missing his friends, he's had a couple severe ear infections and fluid in his ears that won't go away.  We're waiting to meet with the ENT to see what we need to do.  Poor guy.  It's hard to see your kids go through a hard times.  Especially when they're too young to understand why they are irritable or unhappy.  Every once in a while he'll ask, "Will I ever see my friends in California before the time I'll see them when I die?" It's only been a couple times, but by the way he asks, I can tell he's been thinking about it a lot.  He has a couple friends here, but there just aren't many his age in our new ward.  

The past couple weeks it seems he's turned a corner and doing much better.  Our cheerful, happy kid shows up more often now.  I have such a special little place in my heart for my Graham.  I have always gotten a little extra defensive of him and my mama bear impulse comes out more quickly when the situation includes him.  Not sure why.  Maybe it's a mother/son thing  I sure love my little guy.  I'm proud of the boy he is becoming and feel so blessed to be his mother.  


1 comment:

Brooke said...

That's really a sweet post, Maggie. I especially that he shouts "I love you" across the room at school.