Saturday, August 20, 2011

Surprise, Lucy!!

So, for the last 2 years, Lucy has been asking to get her ears pierced. Jason and I decided she would have to wait until she turned 10 (that's when my mother let me, so it just seemed like the right thing to do). Well, rules change when your Dad is getting ready to deploy.

Lucy's 8th b-day was 2 weeks after Jason left. I told Jason that I was going to surprise her for her birthday and let her get them pierced.

A couple days before he left, we went to his favorite restaurant, Red Robin. As we were eating and chatting, Jason and I decided that it would be fun to surprise her that night, so that J could be there. So, we told her that Dad had an early b-day present to give her before he left. The restaurant was at the mall, so we finished up dinner and walked down to Claire's. Lucy had no idea what the present was and even when we walked into the store, she didn't know.

Jason told her after we got the attention of the sales clerk. At first she was shocked, then excited, then nervous.
Here she is, pre-piercing.

And an after shot.

She didn't cry at all and was very brave. She was excited to call everybody to tell them the big news. She paid very close attention to the clerk as she explained how important it was to clean her ears three times a day for 6 weeks. Lucy has been doing a great job taking care of them.

Miss Lucy is growing up so fast. She really is such a sweet girl. She tries very hard to make good choices and be a kind example for her brothers. She loses her patience quickly with Graham, but she is always quick to apologize and wants to try harder to be sweet to him. Since Jason left, she has become even more of a help and comfort to me. She gives me lots of hugs and cheers me up when I'm down. A couple days after J left, I woke up around 7:30 and was super worried because Ben is usually awake by 6:15. I got up quickly to see if everything was all right and found that Lucy had gotten up with Ben and fed him breakfast. What a sweetheart.

More about Lucy to come when I post about her birthday party and weekend!

3 comments:

Tanna said...

How exciting!! She looks so grown up. What a fun surprise!

Jamie said...

That is fun..what a great surprise for Lucy!

Stephanie :) said...

Aww!! I can't believe that Lucy is so grown up!! She can't be 8 already!! I remember her so well as a Sunbeam, sitting in the front row in Primary. I was thinking about getting Paige's ears pierced too, and thought that 8 was a good age to do it. :) Lucy looks good with pierced ears! And she sounds like a pleasure to have around for help. :) Miss you guys!