Saturday, November 30, 2013

Our Beautiful Bambino's first few weeks

What a whirlwind!  It seems the first few weeks/months with all of my babies is a blur.  We are trying to soak it in and enjoy this time with our new bundle.  

Our new "normal" seems to change each week, but I'm trying to roll with the punches.  I feel so amazingly blessed to have such a sweet husband that does so much of the care giving.   

The first few weeks I think I scared Lucy away from Sullivan.  Not intentionally, of course.  I made the kids wash their hands every time they wanted to hold him or touch him.  She got worried that she would make him sick.  Notice she is fresh out of the shower in this picture.  It wasn't until he was almost a month old that she said, "Mom, I've only held him three times."  She has since helped a ton and holds him while I make dinner or finish a task.  

We quickly realized we didn't have a rocker or comfy chair to feed the boy in.  Just a few days after getting home, Jason went and bought this beauty.  


Four days old


Jason and Lucy thought it would be funny to play a little "Where's Sullivan".  


One week old




These pictures were from when he was 2-3 weeks old.  I was feeling very inadequate as a parent at this point.  His tummy started to give him quite a bit of trouble and he wouldn't sleep longer than 15-20 minutes at a time…especially during the day.  This was when I decided to stop reading the baby books and just do what felt right.  It's been smoother sailing since then.  There are still days that I get really frustrated, but it seems on those days that I am blessed with more perspective.  I am reminded of someone that is struggling with a severely sick baby or I read an article about someone who has lost their child.  Depressing?  Yes, but it helped me to recognize how lucky I am to have a strong, healthy baby.  Post-partum emotions are tough!  Up and down, up and down.  

We tried not swaddling his arms for a day.  It didn't help.  His tummy prefers to be swaddled real tight and held even tighter.  


Little bit of tummy time.  



 White noise helps him sleep a few more minutes here and there.  This particular day I tried the dryer.  
Usually the blow dryer worked the best.  


This picture cracks me up.  He seems to be saying, "Really.  You think this looks comfortable?"

1 comment:

Aimee said...

What a cute little guy! Hope he's sleeping better for you now.