Thursday, May 9, 2013

Surviving Conference

This post should have been named, "Helping the Kids Survive Conference" instead.  I always look forward to General Conference and the chance to hear from our prophet and other leaders.  But at the same time, I always dread the constant nagging and fighting that goes along with trying to keep them entertained while helping them learn how important it is for them to try and listen.  Tough stuff.  

So, in an effort to feel like I have some sort of control, I did some research on pinterest and decided on this little idea.  I set up a little store on our kitchen table before conference began.  The kids were soooo curious and excited about all the stuff and price tags I was laying out.  I didn't get a picture of our conference bucks, but they each started with a couple "bucks". 


They could earn money by being quiet during the talks and then more money if they could tell me something they learned from the talk.  Or, in Graham's case, a word or two that they may have mentioned (we were trying to make this a positive experience).  


After two talks, the store opened up again and the negotiated and planned out their purchases.



I got all the stuff at the 99 cent store or in the dollar area at Target.  I bought a couple of the little buckets to put some of the stuff in, too.  It was totally and completely worth the $15-$20 I spent.  It worked beautifully.  Even when they got a little squirrelly during the 2nd session on Sunday, I just had to remind them of some of the stuff they wanted to buy and they got back to business.  

 It was a lot of fun!  Definitely a tradition we will add to our list.  

No comments: