Sunday, October 23, 2011

No More Trash Talkin'

We've been having some issues in our house with how we communicate with one another. Lots of yelling, back talking, fighting. Maybe some of you can relate. If not, don't talk me again.....ever.

So, in the hopes of remedying (I don't think that's a word, but oh well) our little problem, we had a Family Home Evening dedicated to this very topic. I'd like to say I am super creative and clever, but, I'm not. I got this idea off the internet somewhere.

I wrote down some of the kind and sweet things I had heard the kids say to one another or to me and wrote them in the word bubbles. These were "treasure words".
Then I wrote down some of the not-so-kind-and sweet words I had heard around the house. These were "trash words". Personal favorites: "You're the meanest Mom EVER!" and "I hate stupid homework!"
We started the lesson with a little discussion on how Jesus would talk and treat us if he were on earth. The kids were surprised by the mean things I remembered and wrote down. We crumpled up the trash talk words and took turns "shooting hoops" into the real trash can. The following week we tried to point out each other's "treasure talks" and "trash talks". The kids tried to tell me many times that I was trash talkin', so I had to "explain" to them that Mom's aren't trash talking when they are telling/yelling at you for the 14th time to get your shoes and get in the car.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Ah don't you love kids even though they drive you crazy! I can totally relate to this. We had a talk with Noah yesterday about how we don't have to explain everything we ask him to do or not do. He doesn't get an explanation that he understands every time. Most of the time he won't agree with us- but he still has to listen and be respectful. Maggie- you're awesome and we can still talk because our house has its fair share of yelling and talking back. :) It's all a work in progress.

The Cooper's said...

I love this. I might have to steal it cause we've been having way too much of the trash talking at our house as well!

Collette said...

Leave it to our kids to turn our good intentions back on us! What a great lesson.
I remember being in Russia and you emailing me to tell me you were engaged! I know that is random, I was just so homesick that it was great to get some exciting news!