Friday, July 29, 2011

Sweet Moment

I wanted to quickly journal something that happened today before I forget about it.

My sweetheart is leaving for Afghanistan very, very soon and I was having a tough moment this afternoon. Graham came into my bedroom to ask for some goldfish (typical) and noticed that I was crying. He got up on the bed and said, "Are you sick?" I told him no, I was sad, and he asked why. I told him that I was sad that Dad was leaving so soon. Right away he asked if he was leaving right now, I reassured him that we had some time left. Then, he asked me if he could tell me a story to make me feel better. He started it with, "Once upon a time there was a princess named Maggie and a prince named Graham." I don't remember all of the story, but I know there was a dragon named Lucy and that the prince and princess went for a walk and found the dragon in a castle. After he finished his story, he asked me if I felt better. I honestly told him that I felt a whole lot better. He then walked out of the bedroom into the kitchen. He explained to his Dad what had happened, "Mom was sad. I told her a story and now she feels better." He was so proud.

A few times a day Graham will ask me, "Does Dad leave for Ann-gan-i-stan today?" He says Afganistan different every time he attempts it. I tell him no and then he starts in with the, "Does he leave tomorrow? Does he leave the next day?"

It's gonna be rough.

2 comments:

The Cooper's said...

I seriously got emotional reading this sweet story. I would be emotional very often as well if I were in your place. I don't know how you do it.. you are seriously amazing! Hang in there. He will be home before you know it!

Beth and Jason said...

Crying! I love him so much!