Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Future Missionary

We had an exceptionally fun family home evening last night. Our lesson was on missionary work. We showed Lucy some pictures from Jason's mission in Australia. She almost couldn't believe that he was a missionary! We talked with Lucy about the importance of missionary work and how she can share what she knows about the gospel and Jesus with her friends.

We gave her a little homemade badge like the missionaries wear and she and Jason went knocking on doors (around the house) pretending to share the gospel. I would answer the door and she introduced herself to me as Sister Ray and then she and Jason would proceed to answer questions I had about "her" church. I was very impressed by how much she knows! She had a great time pretending with us and I felt like she really understood what we were trying to teach her.

After the lesson we had some cookies and milk with the kiddos. In this picture Jason is behind me making crazy faces trying to get them to smile for me.
Family home evening has become such a fun time for our little family. We look forward to Monday nights and I really try to think about what the kids need to hear that week. I'm amazed at how much they soak in even with just the short little lessons that we do.

Before bed we played an intense game of hide and seek. I hid Lucy on one of the shelves in the pantry. After finding her, Graham decided to join her.
We then told Lucy that she was going to have to sleep there that night and so Graham decided to help her out. He kept bringing her toys and laying his beloved blanket on her. Then he gave her a hug and a kiss and told her good night. It was so sweet! That kid sure keeps us laughing!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

What a cute idea. Lucy is going to be one great missionary! You're such a good mom!

Aimee said...

That is such a great idea, thanks for putting my quick FHE that consisted of a game of Book of Mormon go fish to shame!! I'm nominating you for mother of the year to the committee.

Tami said...

That's a great idea. My kids love FHE too. It's great to have time as a family.

Blaine said...

Hey Maggie, cute idea. That sounds like it was really fun. Speaking of doing churchy things...I think I am going to start training for the Las Vegas Half Marathon that is in December. It is on Sunday, which I know the Sister Ray would be completely against, but I really need a goal to work toward and that is the best I have found so far...what do you think? (Call me...don't tell me I'm the devil over the blog)

Wright's said...

Someday I will have good FHE like you guys. I'm just glad we have them. Good thing Jared can come up with goo lessons on the fly.