Thursday, June 5, 2008

Here we go again......

As of today I am officially registered to participate in the Cache Valley Triathlon this month. Last year I did the sprint distance and this year I'll be doing the Olympic. For the most part, I'm pretty excited. As some of you might remember, my brother and I did the San Francisco Triathlon, but the swimming portion was cancelled due to an oil spill. So, this will be my first full Olympic distance race.

The distances are: 1 mile swim, 24 mile bike, 6.2 mile run. Training has gone pretty well. I definitely could be doing better, but oh well. I dread doing my swimming workouts. It's just so boring. No music and no change of scenery. I feel pretty good about the biking, although I really need to get some padded shorts or a new seat.....yikes! Has anyone used the padded shorts? I've been wanting to buy them for a while, but I'm worried about running in them afterwards.

Only 16 days until the big day.

14 comments:

Nate and Janie said...

Good for you Maggie! You'll do great!! Make sure to call when you get in town, I'd love to see you!

Ndrhsrfamily said...

Way to go tough chicka! As far as padded shorts go, you can find some triathlon specific ones that still have some padding but are supposed to dry faster after the swim. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi ones that I love. Good luck to you- I hear the course is GREAT!

Emily K. said...

You are my inspiration!! How do you keep up the training day after day, with kids, housework, church callings, etc. I need some help in that area.

Unknown said...

You can also get cases and headphones that let you listen to ipods or mp3 players under water. Just sayin'.

Aimee said...

16 days!?! Holy Cow, I think I would need 16 years to train!

Camille Foote said...

Good for you taking on the Olympic distance should be a good race. I am finally doing it this is the year after two years of talking about it. Granted last year would not have worked out to well since I was pregnant, but I am doing my first triathlon next month, but I am only brave enough for a sprint right now. You will have to give me any tips you might have.

Collette said...

Good Luck! So that also means your coming to Utah. I bet that is even more exciting.

Niki said...

Dude you ROCK!

Allison said...

Maggie you are my hero! Jake has used the padded shorts when he goes on long bike rides and he says that they save him, so I think they are worth getting, but I don't know about running in them afterward, but they really aren't hugely padded so I think they would be fine to run in. GOOD LUCK, you are awesome!

April said...

Wow, you are amazing!! The swimming part would scare me to death:) Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes!!

AJ said...

Wow Mag, I thought a marathon sounded hard. I'll stick with my 10K's, I'd surely drown otherwise. Good Luck. Do you beat Jason?

Kindred Family said...

Hi Mag, I'm excited for you to do the triathlon. You'll do so well! I'm thinking about doing the Denver Marathon's half marathon this october. Do you want to do it with me?

It's fun to read about your family. Everyone is so cute! I hope your doing well. We miss you!

FYI... I used to watch John and Kate plus eight but I had to stop because it gives me anxiety attacks!

Love ya,

Amanda said...

All I can say is HOLY CRAP! You're awesome! :) Good luck, although I'm sure you'll do great!

Heather said...

I am always impressed by you running and athletic type. I swore I would never get out of shape when I got old. Oops! Guess that didn't happen. Way to go girl. Does this mean you will be at the reunion? I hope so it would be fun to see you.